Top 11 techniques tips and tricks to help deal with the phantom sounds and tinnitus suffering
What do I know about Tinnitus?
I’m a Musician as well as someone who worked in construction and factory settings all my life. As a result my ears ring non stop. Sometimes it’s loud, sometimes it’s really loud. I’m always looking for New Tinnitus Remedies to Reduce Ringing in the Ears, and I’m not alone.
How common is Tinnitus?
One out of seven individuals worldwide will experience the ill effects of tinnitus (ringing in the ears). As a result it’s the most well known injury emerging war torn areas.
75% of teens and 20 somethings who go to clubs and concerts report impermanent tinnitus.
What is Tinnitus?
Tinnitus is commonly described as a ringing in the ears, but it also can sound like roaring, clicking, hissing, or buzzing. It may be soft or loud, high pitched or low pitched. You might hear it in either one or both ears. Roughly 10 percent of the adult population of the United States has experienced tinnitus lasting at least five minutes in the past year. This amounts to nearly 24 million Americans.
Does Tinnitus Effect Your Brain?
Tinnitus causes changes in brain networks. In a study by researchers at the University of Illinois, they found that chronic tinnitus has been linked to changes in certain networks in the brain. These changes make the brain more attentive and less relaxed.
Check out this Free .PDF from the US Department of Health and Human Services about Tinnitus and your Brain.
What causes Tinnitus?
What causes tinnitus is a very good question. Firstly the answer may be different for some than others. It was most likely, years of loud guitar amps for me. One of the bands I used to play with practiced in a small room for a long time. I had a crash cymbal quite close to my ear and my tinnitus sounds a lot like that cymbal. Many Musicians have Tinnitus. To be fair to a certain drummer I cannot remember when my ear ringing started.
My work in the carpentry trade and also the metal fab industry means for me noise likely caused it. Maybe you had an illness, or a concussion, whatever the cause, we suffer together and I feel your pain. The relentlessness of tinnitus is maddening and impossible to explain to someone who has silence in their life. So here are some of the things I’ve found lately to help with the ringing in the ears.
Here is a list of known causes of Tinnitus: Noise-induced hearing loss, Ear and sinus infections, Diseases of the heart or blood, vessels, Ménière’s disease, Brain tumors, Hormonal changes in women, Thyroid abnormalities.
Is there a Cure for Tinnitus?
Except for short term cases and the odd anomaly, most of us aren’t going to be cured anytime soon. All of us are desperately trying to find ways to cope and live with our tinnitus. I came up with a Top 11 list of things you can do to help ease the symptoms of your unwanted ear noise.
Some are easy cheap and instant, some are invasive and or expensive, and no treatment seems to work for everyone. I hope you find something that helps. I usually don’t leave the comments open on my posts, but I would love to hear your remedies for tinnitus if you don’t see them here.
The main reason I have this website, besides promoting musicians, is for extra income. I blog about things that interest me, and that I care about.
Links on this website contain my affiliate id. This means If you purchase something through a link on this site, I get a commission (a very small commission). That helps me pay for things like web hosting and food for my family. It costs you nothing extra.
Thank you, I appreciate Your Patronage. I also hope you find something that helps!
Top 11 New Tinnitus Remedies to Reduce Ringing in the Ears
- WARM WET CLOTH – Lets start off easy and fast. If your ear or ears are driving you nuts, I know mine get so loud sometimes, it’s like someone hitting a huge brass bell with a sledge hammer right beside my ear. Sometimes it helps to take a warm wet cloth and hold it on the offending ear. Between the heat and the the pressure this seems to bring comfort to my tinnitus symptoms at least for a bit. Try it, cheap and quick. I’ll wait here while you go get it.
- WHITE NOISE – Both in ear hearing aid type noise cancellation devices, or table top white noise generators (an actual radio tuned to static being something you can try right now) are available at various prices. There are also available now, customizable to your needs noise machines. I find this works for me to a degree. I like Bach at low levels and nature sounds. Sometimes music can get to loud and actually hurt. Have you experienced this?
- NATURAL HERBS – There are a few companies that sell products that say that they can repair hearing or brain function or both. I haven’t tried them yet, I’m hoping enough of you guys will buy some that I will be able to afford to try them and review them properly. If you try one or all of them please come back and post your results in the comments. Synapse XT, RESURGE, BIOFIT, REVISION.
- MEDICATIONS AND DRUGS – Because depending on your circumstances, your Doctors recommendation, or your own preference, you may find yourself looking at a variety of medications to stop tinnitus or at least become distracted enough to forget about it long enough to fall asleep. Here are some of the more common ones : amitriptyline, valium, clomipramine (Anafranil) desipramine (Norpramin) imipramine (Tofranil) nortriptyline (Pamelor) protriptyline (Vivactil). ASK YOUR DOCTOR about that stuff. Lots of people use Cannabis (pot) to help distract them with degrees of success. I have heard that sometimes marijuana can cause ringing in the ears. If you have experience with any of these things please comment below. Have no fear it’s all legal in Canada.
- EXCERSISE – It might not help but it can’t hurt. I think circulation and inflammation might play a part in tinnitus so get moving and puffing as a result it will at least take your mind off it. I recommend going for a walk, because fresh air is awesome, but if you can’t get out try the cubii jr.
- AUDITORY-SOMATOSENSORY BIMODAL STIMULATION – Auditory-somatosensory bimodal stimulation desynchronizes brain circuitry to reduce tinnitus in guinea pigs and humans. Or at least that’s the gist, not sure how they know the guinea pigs have tinnitus since they can’t tell we do, but I’ll play along. you can read about it here and even download the pdf so peruse at your leisure.
- COGNITIVE BEHAVIOURAL THERAPY FOR TINNITUS – Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is an inclusive term that features and combines numerous psychological interventions that were developed and evolved from cognitive and behavioral therapies respectively. CBT for tinnitus aims primarily to reduce the reactivity associated with tinnitus, rather than the perceived loudness. Read all about it here.
- BIMODAL NEUROMODULATION COMBINING SOUND AND TONGUE STIMULATION – Conlon et al. studied the effects of bimodal neuromodulation using a device that delivers electrical stimulation to the tongue and sound to the ears. Participants reported reduced symptom severity at the end of 12 weeks of treatment, which persisted for 12 months. Results support the safety and potential utility of bimodal neuromodulation for tinnitus. Read more here.
- LIMIT ALCOHOL, CAFFEINE AND NICOTINE – I know you don’t want to hear it, but these substances, when used in excess, can affect blood flow and contribute to tinnitus. Try and figure out what else triggers changes in your tinnitus. Sometimes I get like a wave of sound, out of nowhere, even louder than the already ear splitting ringing in my ears. Have you experienced this?
- WORD OF MOUTH AND HEARSAY – Here are two things I just read of recently in one of the Tinnitus support groups on facebook. Might be interesting, because they are affordable and as a result can be used longer. If you can find them: Recoline and macmin, also we know nothing about them so check it out for yourself. Here are the photos pasted in that group for reference of the combination of products that helped that Individual with the ringing.
11. The final thing you can do to help with your Tinnitus is WATCH THIS VIDEO!
That’s all the New Tinnitus Remedies to Reduce Ringing in the Ears. Check the comments for new ideas, share this on social media please and have a great day!